By now, the flood of floral commercials has already reminded us that Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 12. But before you plunk down a good chunk of change on something that will wilt and die in a week or so, consider a gift that is truly priceless: a plan for your kids (or grandkids) that provides Mom with peace of mind that, if anything should happen to mom and dad, her children will always be in the care of the people she knows, loves and trusts.
We all hate to think that something could happen to us, but we know it happens to others like us every day.
We’ve all seen the news stories of moms and dads who leave their children with a babysitter, get into a terrible accident and don’t make it home.
The babysitter calls and calls, but there is no one to answer. The police are summoned and the children have to be placed with Child Protective Services. It’s the thing every mother is most afraid of happening.
We’ve seen the stories of children placed in the care of people they barely know just because they are related by blood since there was no plan in place that dictated who would take on this incredible responsibility.
And we have seen the fall out of family fights created when mom and dad didn’t make a plan and the family couldn’t agree on what would happen. Or in the worst case, what happens when there is no family available.
In all cases, it’s left up to a Judge decide when mom and dad don’t.
We know you don’t want this for your children (or grandchildren, nieces, or nephews). And this is where a Kids Protection Plan can ensure it never does. Not for your kids.
The Kids Protection Plan provides Moms (and Dads) with the legal planning tools you need to make sure there is never a question about who will take care of your kids if you are in an accident. The plan includes:
- Legal documents to name short-term guardians who can be there immediately for your children so they’ll never be taken into the arms of strangers or anyone you wouldn’t want. Not even for a moment.
- Letters to the people you name as short-term guardians so the people you’ve named will know just what to do if called upon.
- Instructions to everyone who takes care of your kids as to exactly what to do if you are in an accident … so there’s never any question about who to call.
- Legal documents to name long-term guardians who will raise your children just as you would so there is no family feuding over your children.
- Letters to your long-term guardians letting them know what to do if called upon.
- Instructions and guidelines for your long-term guardians on how you want your kids to be raised…make sure your kids are raised with your values, insights, stories and experience.
- Medical powers of attorney for your minor children so the next time they travel without you or you travel without them, you know they’ll get the medical care they need.
- A custom, personalized I.D. card for your wallet stating that you have minor children at home and who should be contacted if you are in an accident.
As a Personal Family Lawyer, I am one of the few lawyers in the world licensed to prepare a Kids Protection Plan for your family and if you do not have one in place already for your children (or know a mom who doesn’t), this Mother’s Day is the perfect time to gift this plan to your family.
We include a Kids Protection Plan with all the planning we do for the lucky families with children at home who plan with our office. This month, in honor of Mother’s Day, we’ll prepare stand-alone Kids Protection Plans for families who need them if you are one of the first ten families to get on our calendar.