LIVE WEBINAR: Getting Started with Estate Planning

Planning is Peace of Mind

Easily Dissolve a Corporation in California That Is Inactive & Less Than One Year Old

California offers an easy way to voluntarily dissolve a corporation that hasn’t issued shares, has not conducted business, and has been in existence less than one year. A short form certificate of dissolution for inactive corporations can be downloaded from the California Secretary of State’s website and completed by a majority of the directors or, if no directors have been elected, by the majority of the incorporators. When the certificate is filed, the corporation is dissolved and the Secretary of State notifies the Franchise Tax Board. Any taxes due will need to be paid.

Other articles regarding corporate dissolution:


California Corporations Code Section 1900.5:

(a)Notwithstanding any other provision of this division, when a corporation has not issued shares, a majority of the directors, or, if no directors have been named in the articles or been elected, the incorporator or a majority of the incorporators may sign and verify a certificate of dissolution stating the following:

(1)That the certificate of dissolution is being filed within 12 months from the date the articles of incorporation were filed.

(2)That the corporation does not have any debts or other liabilities, except as provided in paragraph (3).

(3)That the tax liability will be satisfied on a taxes paid basis or that a person or corporation or other business entity assumes the tax liability, if any, of the dissolving corporation and is responsible for additional corporate taxes, if any, that are assessed and that become due after the date of the assumption of the tax liability.

(4)That a final franchise tax return, as described by Section 23332 of the Revenue and Taxation Code, has been or will be filed with the Franchise Tax Board as required under Part 10.2 (commencing with Section 18401) of Division 2 of the Revenue and Taxation Code.

(5)That the corporation has not conducted any business from the time of the filing of the articles of incorporation.

(6)That the known assets of the corporation remaining after payment of, or adequately providing for, known debts and liabilities have been distributed to the persons entitled thereto or that the corporation acquired no known assets, as the case may be.

(7)That a majority of the directors, or, if no directors have been named in the articles or been elected, the incorporator or a majority of the incorporators authorized the dissolution and elected to dissolve the corporation.

(8)That the corporation has not issued any shares, and if the corporation has received payments for shares from investors, those payments have been returned to those investors.

(9)That the corporation is dissolved.

(b)A certificate of dissolution signed and verified pursuant to subdivision (a) shall be filed with the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State shall notify the Franchise Tax Board of the dissolution.

(c)Upon filing a certificate of dissolution pursuant to subdivision (b), a corporation shall be dissolved and its powers, rights, and privileges shall cease.

Recent Posts

I Want to Speak With An Attorney

Book an available time now to speak with our attorney at Tagre Law Office

Subscribe Now!

Get regular article and newsletter updates sent directly into your inbox

Client Success Stories