LIVE WEBINAR: Getting Started with Estate Planning

Planning is Peace of Mind

Special Needs Trustees – Parent and Legal Guardians

Special Needs TrusteesMost states do not prohibit a parent or legal guardian from serving as special needs trustees of a special needs trust for their child. However, some states require that such a trustee be bonded, meaning that the trustee must have an insurance policy that refunds money to the trust if the trustee steals the funds.  A prerequisite for a trustee to obtain a bond is to have excellent credit, and therefore many parents may not qualify for a bond. An experienced professional in managing special needs trusts might be a better trustee than a parent or a guardian depending on the amount of assets placed into the trust. For additional information on selecting a professional trustee, click here and here.

Contact our Special Needs Planning attorney today at (888) 597-9685 if you have any questions regarding special needs trustees or to discuss your family’s specific concerns.

Recent Posts

I Want to Speak With An Attorney

Book an available time now to speak with our attorney at Tagre Law Office

Subscribe Now!

Get regular article and newsletter updates sent directly into your inbox

Client Success Stories